Forget what you’ve learned in geology about the continents forming as a result of massive tectonic turbulence and volcanic eruptions tearing land masses apart. “Ice Age 4: Continental Drift” reveals that these seismic shifts came about from Scrat’s misadventures.
Two million years ago, one global-shattering event changed everything. Scrat, the world’s most lovable prehistoric squirrel-rat is about to rewrite history in “Ice Age 4: Continental Drift.” The film reunites us with Scrat as he’s going about his usual business: he has grabbed the acorn, set it down on the ground – and suddenly a mountain is torn apart and the earth itself opens up, separating land masses into the seven continents.
Scrat hurtles toward the earth’s core, triggering massive earthquakes, which in turn isolates Manny, Diego and Sid from the rest of the herd. Scrat’s continental crack-up has cast adrift Manny (voiced by Ray Romano), Diego (Dennis Leary) and Sid (John Leguizamo) from the rest of the herd, including Manny’s beloved wife Ellie (Queen Latifah) and their teenaged daughter Peaches (who was born in 2009’s “Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs” and is voiced by music-actress Keke Palmer).
From his introduction as a breakout character in “Ice Age” to becoming a celebrated movie icon, Scrat has brought joy to countless moviegoers – and to the filmmakers who bring him to life. “There’s no better or more enjoyable character to animate than Scrat,” says director Steve Martino. “Who else can you knock around, smash around – and he just keeps going after that nut?!” Adds supervising animator Nick Bruno: “Scrat is why I’m in animation. His adventure in this movie is like a classic tale, where he sees his goal, goes after it, and gets his butt kicked. But this time, the stakes for him and for the herd couldn’t be higher.”
Meanwhile, let’s hear it from Scrat whose thoughts will only be read and heard in the q&a that follows:
Q: Hi Scrat. First things first. Is your acorn safe?
Scrat: Define ‘safe.’
Q: Buried in a place that only you know about.
Scrat: Not exactly (fidgets).
Q: Where is it right now?
Scrat: It’s within arm’s reach – well, almost.
Q: Why is it so hard to hold on to your prized nut and keep it safe?
Scrat: That is a question I ask myself every day. Every hour of every day. Every minute of every hour. Every second of every minute. Every nanosecond of every second. I ask myself that question a lot.
Q: Some might say your interest in acorns borders on obsession. How would you respond?
Scrat: Are you saying that I’m nuts? Oooh nuts. Mmmmm, nuts… (rubs hands together).
Q: What have you learned over the course of the last few years?
Scrat: A coconut is not a giant acorn. And if you roast an acorn for long enough, it will turn into a large popcorn kernel. This is not to be recommended.
Q: Is it true you found a treasure map recently?
A: I did!
Q: What does X mark the spot of?
Scrat: A whole island filled with beautiful golden acorns! Oooooh…
Q: Wow. That must be very appealing to someone of your disposition. What do you think the probability of ever finding that treasure is?
Scrat: Hmmm (scratches head). Realistically? Maybe one in a hundred trillion? I’ll happily die trying though.
Q: Is it hard to live with yourself, knowing that your past actions have led to earthquakes, volcanoes, continental drift and global warming?
Scrat: Huh? I’m just trying to bury my nut, dude. Don’t get all heavy on me.
Q: You’re one of the only living animals to have visited the earth’s core. What is it like there?
Scrat: It’s hot.
Q: You sound like Paris Hilton.
Follow Scrat when “Ice Age 4: Continental Drift” opens July 12 in theaters nationwide (in 2D and 3D) from 20th Century Fox to be distributed by Warner Bros.
What's the Latest?!
- Watch the R18, Uncut Version of 'Fifty Shades Darker' at Venice Cineplex
- Catch the '5th Roots Music Festival' at UP Fair Saturday
- Run with The Flash, Supergirl and The Arrow at TV5's Superheroes Run: Manila
- 'SWIPE' Movie Review: Not Just Another Film about Social Dating
- Vivo V5 Plus: the Perfect Selfie Phone!
- TV5 Collaborates with Brillante Mendoza for Monthly Made-for-TV Movies
- SM City Marilao Unveils New Gaming Hub
- Thailand's HOP INN Hotel, now in the Philippines
- Top 10 #ManilennialEats at SM City Manila
- Have an Unforgettable Holiday at Club Balai Isabel in Batangas
- CELLPRIME Unveils HYUNDAI Aero Plus
- Jing Monis' M BARBERS: Exclusively for the Gentlemen
- Every day is family day at Parmigiano Ristorante Pizzeria in Molito, Alabang
- Have a Gastronomic Adventure at Island Cove Hotel and Leisure Park!
- SKIN CENTRAL Opens Its 4th Clinic in SM North EDSA Annex!
- Jing Monis: A HAIROGRAPHY
- Kos Greek Ouzeri in UP Town Center: Authentic Greek Cuisine
- Festa del Vino the Most Italianesque Wine Festival to Launch at McKinley Hill
- BAGA Manila, Now Grilling at AMAIA STEPS Bicutan 1
- Torayvino: A Must in Every Home
- IsraAID Philippines: From Crisis Management to Sustainable Living
- 40th National Milo Marathon: Energizing Champions, Inspiring Millions!
- 'DYSON Pure Cool Link' Captures 99.95% of Ultrafine Allergens, Odours & Pollutants
Advocacy Airlines Arts Automotive Awards Beach Resorts Blogging Books Business and Finance Celebrities Concert Contest Culture and the Arts DepEd Drinks Education Entertainment Entrepreneur Environment Event Family Fashion Fitness Health Homes Hotels Kids Lifestyle Magazines Manila Massage Music Nature News Pageant Party Personal Philippines Photography Promos Run Schools Shopping SM Malls Sports Technology Television Theater Toys Videos Wellness
- Naomi Watts sees nightmares become reality in 'Shut In'
- Jump to Your Prime with the New Samsung Galaxy J2 Prime
- NOVUHAIR, is it Effective?!
- Catch the '5th Roots Music Festival' at UP Fair Saturday
- Sister Act The Broadway Musical to be staged in Manila
- Kanye West and adidas announce the YEEZY BOOST 350 core black/red for infants and adults
- Shopee Celebrates Chinese New Year with a Bang!
- TOY KINGDOM’S Amazing Summer Splash
- The Final Harry Potter and Voldemort Face-Off
- Online Entrepreneurs share their success on Shopee