As Western Union celebrates its 160th anniversary, they launched a hunt for the most networked person in the whole world! Western Union is dubbed as one of the world’s most globally connected companies, which now has 470,000 locations in 200 countries and territories worldwide.
Whew! That's a lot! Now sending and receiving money anywhere is just a walk in the park. Also, thank you Western Union for taking care of my Google Adsense money monthly! :) I just had to bring one I.D. plus the control number and that's it! No hassle.
Now, Western Union is calling for the Philippines’ most globally connected individuals to step forward and take the Western Union Network Challenge at www.westernunionworld.com/yourworld.
The search will be fueled by a new interactive, online Application called Your World which Western Union has created to mark its 160th anniversary. It visualizes Facebook fans’ global connections and users receive a score (“World Index”) that shows how globally connected they are. They can compare their ranking against their Facebook friends, against others in their country and against others in the world.
WIN 2,000 WORTH OF SM GIFT CERTIFICATES
With the Philippines recently being hailed as ‘the social networking capital of the world’, having 9 out of 10 online Filipinos on Facebook, it also stands a strong chance of being one of the most geographically connected nations globally.
BLOG-PH.com is giving away 2,000 worth of GC's just for trying the Facebook app! Local celebrities such as retail entrepreneur and style icon Divine Lee, cultural tour guide and activist Carlos Celdran, and IT expert “Yuga” Abe Olandres have already logged into Your World, challenging friends and fans to beat their rankings.
Go to www.westernunionworld.com/yourworld, make sure you are logged in at your Facebook profile before you do so. Just click "CONTINUE" when you see a welcome note like this:
Click the "Login with Facebook" button, then authorized the Facebook app, and that's it. It will calculate your "World Index" Please note that this may take a while especially if you have a lot of Facebook friends, just like me who has almost 4,000 friends, I though at first that the app is broken ;)
Then, a nice diagram just like below will appear, this is based on your Facebook friends based outside the Philippines.
The app will also give you some interesting facts about your Facebook profile such as the number of your international connections, world rank and country rank.
I'm giving away 1,000 worth of GC to two lucky BLOG-PH.com reader! :) But first, you need to "LIKE" the official Western Union Fan Page and the BLOG-PH.com Fan Page. Take note of your "World Index" which can be found at the upper left part of website. Your reference is the photo above. (to find it you have to mouse-over at your name) Then at YOUR Facebook wall, you need to write this as status:
I scored [your world index] at the @Western Union World App and now I have a chance to win one of the two P1,000 worth of GC at @BLOG-PH.com! :] http://www.blog-ph.com/2011/08/wu.html
Make sure you tagged both page and it should appear on BLOG-PH.com Fanpage to make it valid. Also, make sure that you chose "EVERYONE" before clicking the Share button. Don't forget the link. Here's a guide:
All valid entries will be raffled off via random.org
BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE :)
Double your chance of winning by following BLOG-PH.com on NetworkedBlogs plus answering one question below:
1. Q: What are the 3 pages/sections of westernunionworld.com?
2. Q: What time is shown in the clock in the homepage of westernunionworld.com?
3. Q: Who founded the Western Union Company?
4. Q: What year did Money Transfer arrive?
5. Q: How much money was transferred by Western Union in less than two years after it introduced the service?
6. Q: Which playwright began their career with Western Union in the 1920s?
7. Q: What happened to the Western Union office in 1906?
8. Q: What convenient product to pay for its telegram service did Western Union introduce to its consumers in 1914?
9. Q: Which company created the singing telegram in 1933?
10. Q: Which Hollywood cultural icon/singer used Western Union to send money to his parents
11. Q: What new service did Western Union offer in 1989?
12. Q: How many Agent locations did Western Union have in the year 2000?
13. Q: In how many countries and territories was Western Union present in the year 2000?
14. Q: Who is in the mobile phone illustration, which represents the birth of Western Union’s International Mobile Money Transfer?
15. Q: In which country was the first ever international mobile money transfer service launched?
16. Q: In what year did Western Union first launch its services in Africa?
17. Q: What page/section in the website www.westernunionworld.com charts the impact of global money movement in the world?
18. Q: What else can one see in Our World in the website www.westernunionworld.com besides World Data?
19. Q: Where does the Our World page/section of westernunionworld.com get is Remittances data from?
20. Q: How much remittance did the Philippines receive back in 1980?
21. Q: Over how many years is the Compound Annual Growth of the Philippines computed?
22. Q: Which country received the most remittance in the year 2000?
23. Q: What is the Western Union Growth percentage of the Philippines?
24. Q: Which country had the highest population in 1985?
25. Q: Under the Our World section of westernunionworld.com, in how many countries can you currently view data from?
26. Q: How many People Stories from the Philippines can you currently view in the Our World section of westernunionworld.com?
Use the comment form below to answer the question. You can find clues at the website linked above. Here's a example comment:
Name in NetworkedBlogs: JayL Aquino
Question: In what year did Western Union first launch its services in Africa?
You need to 'follow' the blog on NetworkedBlogs plus answer ONE question correctly to earn the extra raffle entry (this is optional) This mini contest will end on 12MN of August 31, 2011. This contest is open to any Filipinos living in the Philippines who have a Facebook account. If you have other questions just leave a comment :)
ABOUT WESTERN UNION
The Western Union Company (NYSE: WU) is a leader in global payment services. Together with its Vigo, Orlandi Valuta, Pago Facil and Western Union Business Solutions branded payment services, Western Union provides consumers and businesses with fast, reliable and convenient ways to send and receive money around the world, to send payments and to purchase money orders. The Western Union, Vigo and Orlandi Valuta branded services are offered through a combined network of approximately 470,000 agent locations in 200 countries and territories. In 2010, The Western Union Company completed 214 million consumer-to-consumer transactions worldwide, moving $76 billion of principal between consumers, and 405 million business payments. For more information, visit http://www.westernunion.com.
Disclosure: Western Union is the prize sponsor for this contest.