The Truth Behind the Diarrhea Outbreak at The New Bilibid Prisons & The Incidents Preceding It


Mang Kiko Catering Services Incorporated, the catering provider of National Bilibid Prison (NBP) vehemently denied the allegations that their food caused the diarrhea outbreak in the penitentiary. 

At a press conference held on June 6, Atty. Lorna Kapunan, the legal counsel of MKCSI said that the cause of death of two inmates are not food poisoning but hypobolemic shock and hypertension. This is based on the official findings released by the NBP Hospital. According to the lawyer, the more likely cause of the outbreak is the unsafe drinking water of inmates.

"The timing of the outbreak is actually very suspicious" said Kapunan. BuCor's recent bidding for catering services were marred with irregularities. There is an apparent attempt to favor a new caterer who cannot even satisfy the minimum requirements of RA 9184 (The Government Procurement Reform Act). Blaming Mang Kiko for the diarrhea outbreak appears to be part of a vicious and concerted effort to destroy the good name and reputation of Mang Kiko, to ensure that it will be blacklisted as a food caterer, and to bring in a favored caterer in BuCor in complete disregard of the provisions of RA 9184,” the legal counsel added.

  Atty. Lorna Patajo Kapunan, the legal counsel of MKCSI and Atty. Alvin Navarro, President of MKCSI.

The lawyer also mentioned the events preceding the diarrhea outbreak. “As far back as last year, there were public biddings held by BuCor for the catering services in the penal colonies of Leyte, Davao, Zamboanga and Palawan for 2017. Mang Kiko won those public biddings. To date, Director General Benjamin de los Santos, head of BuCor, refuses to act on the notices of award and contracts due to Mang Kiko without any legal or factual justification whatsoever. Mang Kiko requested for the release of said notices of award and contracts, but Director de los Santos ignored Mang Kiko’s request."

“There was a scheduled bidding on May 8, 2017 (Monday) at the NBP. Mang Kiko was ready to join the bidding. Without any clear basis, the Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) of BuCor cancelled the bidding in the afternoon of 05 May 2017 (Friday) in clear violation of Section 22.5.2 of the IRR of RA 9184 (The Government Procurement Reform Act). Mang Kiko complained about this cancellation, but the BAC insisted on its decision.”


Because of this, they sent a letter to President Rodrigo Duterte dated May 15, 2017 to inform him the anomalies inside the BuCor. MKCSI included all the documentary evidence of the said irregularities but they didn't know if the President received the letter. Mang Kiko Catering Services Incorporated appeals to the Senate to investigate the developments in BuCor especially in the lights of the very serious turn of events.

“We wish to emphasize that Mang Kiko has been providing catering services to the inmates of NPB for the past 11 years and record will bear out that there has never been any incident of food poisoning associated with the food served by Mang Kiko. We reiterate that Mang Kiko follows the strictest food safety policies and highest food quality standards, employs sanitation guidelines for food handlers and for physical processing operation of food to ensure safe, nutritious and quality products. With an efficient catering staff of over 100, it has maintained highly competent food operations managers, food technologists, nutritionists and culinary specialists, all with solid industry experience.” said Kapunan,

Share:

1 REACTIONS

  1. AnonymousJune 12, 2017

    Thank you for another informative web site. Where else could I get that kind of info written in such a perfect way? I've a project that I am just now working on, and I have been on the look out for such info.

    ReplyDelete